Friday, June 6, 2008

Sock Monkeys

My DD had a sleepover last weekend and two of her friends came over to stay the night. We have a small apartment, with not much to do. The closest movie theater is at least 45 minutes drive, and the last time we rented movies, they didn't watch them.

All 3 of these girls are energetic and creative. I wanted to find a way to entertain them and focus some of their creative energy. Since I helped DD and some of her Michigan friends make sock monkeys, I decided that we could have fun making them in Alabama, too! So I went to a few stores and found some super cute tights on clearance at Wally's. I bought several pair and let each girl choose their own.

I learned to make the monkeys following tutorials I found on the internet, and kinda adapted them to my own little procedure. We spend three and a half hours making these lovelies. These are made by 10-year olds!
They had a little help with the general sewing, but did most of the work themselves. The girls had fun playing with them and posing them for pictures, before moving on to making cupcakes. While these aren't for sale, I do have some for sale in my shop at PartyPoofers . The mini crocheted monkey is one I made for my daughter following an Annie's Attic pattern from a vintage booklet.

You can also find some great tutorials for making your own sock monkeys at:

Have fun!

No comments: